Our amazing bodies are already designed to detox everyday - without a juice fast or all day smoothies. Our kidneys, liver & digestive system play a part in healthy detoxing all the time.
Now don't get me wrong - eating bags of chips and chocolate milkshakes are NOT going to help the natural detox process along - much the opposite - they create clutter that slows the process down.
Healthy, whole, unprocessed foods help your body detox more effectively - naturally getting rid of unwanted toxins and free radicals.
Here are 7 foods that are key to aiding your body's natural detoxification system ...
1. Cabbage - its cleansing properties come from a high content of sulphur containing compounds that promote the elimination of potential carcinogens in the body. These compounds are destroyed by heat, so for best detoxing benefits enjoy cabbage raw. Try my Beautiful Skin Salad.
2. Brazil Nuts - these amazing nuts are full of selenium which is key in flushing mercury from your body. Selenium also plays a role in healthy thyroid function. Snack on 2 or 3 Brazil nuts a day. Read more about the healing powers of Brazil nuts here.
3. Avocado - full of antioxidants and fibre, avocado's work well with the digestive and cardiovascular system to detox. Slice some up on your salad, mash it up on sprouted grain bread for avo toast or change things up and put some in your smoothie - try this delicious Super Wellness Smoothie
4. Cilantro - its natural oils promote digestion therefore working with your digestive system to easily eliminate unwanted toxins. Add it to salads for a fresh twist.
5. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - loaded with polyphenols EVOO reduces inflammation therefore allowing your body to work more effectively and efficiently. You don't need a lot - 1 or 2 tablespoons daily is great. Try it in this simple Healthy Herb Vinaigrette
6. Kale - is there anything this leafy green doesn't do? Rich in antioxidants (including vitamin K) kale reduces inflammation and works to detox your body on a genetic level. Its amazing in this Simple Kale Caesar Salad (plant based of course).
7. Dandelion Tea - most of us think of the dandelion as a pest in our lawn, however dandelion tea has been know as "liver tonic" for hundreds of years. Dandelion tea is made up of the plant's leaves and roots and works hard to detox your liver. Try a cup today - you can buy organic dandelion tea bags at your local grocery or health food store.
8. Water - this probably should be number 1. Staying hydrated and drinking plenty of fresh water helps all your 'detoxing' organs funtion properly and helps flush toxins and waste naturally from your body. Add a sqeeze of lemon to up the detoxing power. Tired of plain water? Change it up with these Gorgeous Infused Water ideas.
"Do something today that your future self will thank you for..."
I would love to hear from you! What detoxing foods do you make sure to get in your day? What is your fav way to have them? Let me know in the comments below...